Monday, January 31, 2011

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?
Did You Know?

I found the video "Did You Know?," by Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod to be so fascinating. I had no idea about most of the stuff that was presented in the presentation. It is amazing how far technology has come even in the last ten years. Obviously, our future is going to be consumed by technology.
It is apparent that technology will soon take over the way we function in day to day life. It already has made such a huge difference in the way we communicate and do many other daily routines. I know there is not one day that goes by that I am not communicating with people by text message or email. It is amazing to think where technology is going to take our generation.

Mr. Winkle Wakes
Technology Is Needed in Schools!

Mr. Winkle Wakes was a video about an old man who woke up after a hundred year slumber. He was amazed to see all of the new things that had come about in the world. He couldn't believe that people communicated through screens on their desk. Even at the hospital, he couldn't believe machines kept people alive. He then went to the schools and saw a place he could relate to, it had no technology.
I thought this video did a good job portraying the way schools are today with no technology. Clearly, you have technology at work, at home, and hospitals but when it comes to schools, there is no advanced technology. Schools are suffering from not having enough technology and the kids are missing out on a lot.

The Importance of Creativity
It is very important to be creative

Sir Ken Robinson is very entertaining and has a lot of great insight. I strongly agree with him that kids should be encouraged to be creative. You never know who the child may become one day. It is so important as teachers to bring out the creativity in our students.
I found his video to be educational and it gave me things to keep in mind for my future students. My goal is to be a teacher that does not put off my students' creative actions off as them being bad or having "ADHD." I want to encourage them to show off their talents and creativeness.

Cecelia Gault
I found Cecelia Gault to be a very intelligent student. She was very mature for her age and her writing skills are phenomenal. I want to make sure the Cecelia Gault's in my classroom have as good of an education by integrating technology into my lessons and encouraging the students to be creative while using the technology.

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

Technology is Schools is So Important
Ms. Davis' approach to education with technology is really cool. I think I would have loved to have had her as a teacher in middle or high school. What she does in her classroom seems similar to what we do in EDM 310.
The students really seem to enjoy her class as well. As one student mentioned, her favorite project involved interacting with other students all over the world. This video really inspires me to research and learn new technologies so I can pass my knowledge on to my future students.

2 comments:

  1. What is the most important thing you learned this week? How will that affect your goals as a teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Strange,
    The most important thing I learned this week was how fast technology is advancing in our society. As a teacher that is something I must keep in mind especially when learning new things in your class. I hope that when I become a teacher I have some "Cecilia Gault's" in my classroom. It is my goal to nurture my students' creativity and really help them bring out their creative side in class.

    ReplyDelete