Sunday, April 24, 2011

An In-Depth View of Mr. McClung's World

Special Assignment: Mr. McClung's World
Mr. McClung's World

1. What do you know (or have you found out) about Mr. McClung that is reflected in the way he has constructed his class blog?
He is a very dedicated teacher and obviously goes above and beyond what the normal teacher would do. This is reflected in his blog post and all of the effort he has put into making it so nice.
2. Comment on what you would say about Mr. McClung as an educator.
Mr. McClung is a very effective educator. He uses technology to its full potential in his 8th grade classes. If he were my child’s teacher, I would be very pleased.
3. I asked above that you read Mr. McClung's "rules" and think about them. What do they say about Mr. McClung, his teaching, and his connection with his students? What is your reaction to these rules (and guides) as a student and as an aspiring teacher?
Mr. McClung is very interactive with his students and his rules really prove that. My favorite rule of his is, Class-Yes. It is a very creative way of getting the class’ attention. Surely, a day in his class can’t be too boring, it seems like there is too much going on to have a dull moment. This says a lot about him as a teacher because he has put so much effort into making his class more than a traditional classroom.
4. What was the first thing under Everyone needs? Why do you suppose that is the first requirement?
The first thing under EVERYONE NEEDS is a supply list. I think this is the first requirement because it is important to have the proper materials needed for class and assignments.
5. Note the penalties for being late (under Homework). Compare them with my penalties for being late. Comment.
I think the penalties for being late in Mr. McClung’s class are similar to the ones in EDM 310. However, at least in his class it is definite what letter grade you will make if you turn in your assignments late. In EDM 310, you just know that you will be penalized if they are late but you are not told how much. I think it is because Dr. Strange doesn’t like to give grades.
6. Read carefully his paragraph about what he hopes to accomplish with his blog. Comment and apply to your own aspirations as a teacher.
I like that he wants to keep parents, teachers, and other people in the school involved with what is going on his class through his blog. It says a lot about the kind of teacher he is because he is proud of what he does and he wants to let everyone know how he is doing and how the students are doing.
7. I asked you to review at least two Useful Links in depth after reviewing all of them. Which two did you review in depth? Describe each of the two. How might each be used? Why do you think each made Mr. McClung's list.
Convert PDF to Word was one of the useful links I reviewed. I think this made it to his list because it is important to know how to do this. The link takes you to a website that will convert the PDF to a Word Document for you. All you have to do is enter in the links to which you want to convert and then click “convert.”
Plagiarism Checker was the second link I reviewed. This is a great tool for students to make sure they aren’t plagiarizing and also for the teacher to make sure the students are plagiarizing. This is so important so that everyone is safe and no one can get in trouble for taking someone else’s work as their own.
8. Under Internet Safety I asked you to read carefully the rules Mr. McClung sets forth for safely using the internet. Comment on these rules. Are there any you would add or subtract?
I like all the rules Mr. McClung has put in place for his students and their blogs. There are no rules that I would subtract. This is extremely important in terms of making parents feel comfortable with the things they are doing in class. Also, it keeps students on their best behavior while on the internet at school.
9. In the C4K part of this blog I asked that you look carefully at one of the categories under which you assigned post was filed. What did you find? Select one of the posts in the category and review it for me.
I was assigned to the Talent Show category. This category was a list of videos of the 8th graders performing their talent. There were a couple videos of students playing instruments and singing and one of a student doing a hip-hop dance. There is a lot of talent in the 8th grade at this school.
10. Mr. McClung uses Edublog as his blog host. In some ways it may seem more "advanced." But Blogger has many abilities that we have not covered in EDM310. This leads to this question: Is there anything (or things) that Mr. McClung can do with his blog that you would like to do in Blogger?
I really like the “search” option on Edublog. Other than that, there is nothing else I would want to do on Blogger.
11. In what ways does Mr. McClung make his blog useful to parents, teachers, administrators, students like you, and others?
Mr. McClung posts progress reports, deadlines, and updates on his blog. He also has sections where he talks about himself, his class, and what goes on his class. Basically, anyone around the world can know what he does in his class.
12. How does Mr. McClung's 8th grade blog differs from other blogs you have visited including other 8th grade blogs? Why the differences do you think?
Mr. McClung’s blog is very advanced compared to the other blogs I have visited this semester. I think there is such a difference because he I such a dedicated teacher and he is passionate about doing this in his class.
13. I really appreciate Mr. McClung’s blog and think he is doing a great job. I know if I were an 8th grader I would definitely want to be in his class.

No comments:

Post a Comment