Monday, April 11, 2011

Summary of C4T #3


Learning is Messy
Leaving Their Mark - Redux
Mr. Brian Crosby is an upper elementary teacher with 29 years experience. He uses technology to "help his class leave a legacy." He truly believes that through his teaching and the learning the kids are doing in his class that they are leaving their mark in society. I agree because these kids are doing the same thing we are doing in EDM 310 and they are anywhere from 10-30 years younger than some of us. Mr. Crosby had the same class for three years in a row, from the time they were in 4th grade through 6th grade. During that time he has opened the door for these kids to be able to blog everyday, use skype, talk to the mother of Grace Corrigan and have a Q&A session, and he takes them on field trips. For this particular class he took them to the zoo and they created a wiki page for people who wanted to learn more about the animals. In the fifth grade his students did more skyping and skype even sent out a film crew for his class to take part in their "Inclusion" video. They also got involved with Ms. Parisi's class in New York in which they did group projects via skype and Google Docs.

The students in Mr. Crosby's class have an awesome opportunity to be able to take part in these things at such a young age. These are the kinds of classes that will shape the future into the technologically advanced society that we will have to be.

I left a comment on Mr. Crosby's post saying who I was and where I was from. I told him how much of a good job I thought he was doing in his classroom by letting these kids experience all of these wonderful tools.

On the second post I read of Mr. Crosby's,So Simple A Child Could Do It? Or, It Doesn't Have To Be Hard To Be Good he told about one day in his class when four students stayed in from recess to skype with a 1st grade class. These students were so excited to do this and couldn't wait to comment on their new 1st grade friends' blog posts.

On this post I let Mr. Crosby know how much I appreciated his efforts to make his class successful in this world being overtaken by technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment